The Downs School
At The Downs School, we give all our students the very best start in life, to help them develop into well-rounded young adults, able to venture into a rapidly changing world with confidence and determination.
These principles are summed up in our vision:
Educating today’s young people for the world of tomorrow
Set in the heart of the West Berkshire Downs, The Downs School is a vibrant school community with staff totally committed to excellence and achievement at all levels.
Ofsted has judged us as “outstanding” in every category, but we are not a school that wants to stand still. We know that there is always more to do to ensure that every child’s educational experience is rich, character-building and of the highest possible standard. We are striving to move “beyond outstanding” through our philosophy of “Learning together, learning for life”.
The school provides a balanced approach to the pursuit of excellence by offering an interesting, challenging and lively curriculum.
Students gain academic, creative, sporting and social skills, both in and out of the classroom, ensuring a well-rounded learning experience for all.
We maintain a strong tradition of excellence and are extremely proud of our students’ achievements. Our fantastic results at both key stages epitomise what our school stands for; strong partnerships, resilience and desire to achieve at all levels.
Our high-performing school is founded on the strength of relationships between staff, students and parents. We respect the trust placed upon us by parents who actively choose our school for their children. We work in partnership with our students who contribute to the decision-making in the school, ensuring that they feel valued and confident. Despite our size, we pride ourselves on our small school feel.
About our school experience
- Our school experience days provide you with the opportunity to experience life day to day life in a busy school environment. You will experience first hand how students learn and have the opportunity to talk to some of our trainees who have undertaken the school direct route into teaching. Members of our teacher training team will also be available to provide advice on your application and answer any queries you might have. We'll draw up a schedule for your day giving you as much scope as possible to see a variety of different classes. Please bring a packed lunch and photo identification.
- Start and finish times
8.30am to 3.00pm
Individual needs will be considered but details must be given in advance.
- Dress code
Cover up tattoos, Smart casual
- Teacher training
School Direct Lead School. Our courses are accredited by Oxford Brookes University
Links to more information about our school
- The Downs School website
- The Downs School Get Information About Schools
- Ofsted report: The Downs School
- Performance information: The Downs School
- Teacher training: The Downs School
- Must not have been accepted onto another teacher training course
- Must have a degree
- They must live within 20 miles of the school
- Photo identification: Passport / driving license
- DBS check required
No, candidates will be accompanied at all times.
- Manor Crescent, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 6AD
Yes - on site parking provided
There is car parking on the school site subject to availability.
- Disability and access details
We offer facilities and provide an inclusive environment for students, staff and school experience candidates with disability and access needs. We're happy to discuss your disability or access needs before or as part of your school experience request.
- School phases
- Secondary (11 to 16)
- Art and design
- Business studies
- Design and technology
- Health and social care
- Media studies
- Physical education
- Religious education