The Sydney Russell School
About our school experience
The SEP offers a school visit to those people who are considering teaching primary or secondary level. It not only offers you the chance to observe teaching and pastoral work here at Sydney Russell School, but to talk to staff at all levels about day to day life in a school such as ours.
The programme will be of particular use to you if:
• You want to gain an insight into teaching and see if it is really a career you would like to pursue
• You want to gain observational experience prior to an interview
We offer School Experience Days throughout the academic year across Primary, Secondary and Post-16. We offer the opportunity to observe a range of teaching styles and lessons, as well as talking to key professionals about routes into teaching.
During your experience, you'll get to do things like:
• observe lessons
• see how teachers manage a classroom
• find out how specific subjects are taught
• learn more about teacher training - including the application and interview process
- Start and finish times
8.30am to 3.00pm
Flexible to be discussed
- Dress code
Business dress, Smart casual
- Teacher training
Sydney Russell School is a lead school of Partnership London SCITT (PLS). PLS is dedicated to developing and improving education in East London through robust and ambitious initial teacher training. PLS aims to recruit, train and retain the very best teachers for the young people in the culturally rich, diverse and evolving community it serves. At our core, we are a partnership and our mission focuses on the following three elements of teacher training and education:
1. Learner - Our learner centred curriculum aims to create a learning community rooted in continual reflection and professional dialogue between PLS teachers, expert colleagues and their pupils.
2. Subject - Our subject centred curriculum recognises the importance of knowledge and encourages commitment to lifelong learning as subject/phase specialists.
3. Society - Our society centred curriculum encourages PLS teachers to serve, promote and challenge the community of the PLS partnership.
PLS is led by a team of educational experts with a wealth of experience and knowledge. This team is supported by high quality practitioners, still practising in schools across East London.
PLS is a unique collaboration between two teacher training centres, St Angela’s Ursuline Teacher Training Centre and The Sydney Russell School Teacher Training Centre.
Our school-led training takes place in over 50 vibrant, innovative and transforming Primary and Secondary schools in East London and Essex, covering a wide range of boroughs including, Barking and Dagenham, Newham, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Tower Hamlets, Havering and Thurrock.
PLS offers a number of routes into the teaching profession;
• one-year programme QTS only
• one year programme QTS and PGCE (Master’s level) accredited by University of Sussex
Individuals who complete the school-experience programme and who meet PLS’ entry requirements are guaranteed an interview with PLS.
Links to more information about our school
- Must not have been accepted onto another teacher training course
- Must have a degree
- Photo identification: Passport or Driving Licence
- DBS check required
No, candidates will be accompanied at all times.
This school has not yet provided their availability for offering school experience. You can still request experience with this school and they will contact you when they have availability.
- School experience type
- In school
- Parsloes Avenue, Dagenham, Essex, RM9 5QT
Yes - on site parking provided
Parking is available onsite although our parking spaces are limited and the car park can be full by 8am
TFL links easily accessible
- Disability and access details
- School phases
- Early years, Primary (4 to 11), Secondary (11 to 16), 16 to 18
- Art and design
- Business studies
- Design and technology
- Languages (other)
- Media studies
- Physical education
- Social sciences